Everything you need to know about the event!
- Race Day Information
- Important Dates
- Fundraising Information
- Participant Information (including bibs and race kit pick up)
Race Day Information
Date: Sunday, April 29, 2018
Time: 8:00 a.m.
Start/Finish Location: Newmarket Seniors’ Meeting Place | 474 Davis Drive, Newmarket ON
Race Distance: 5K
Event Day Schedule
- 8:00 a.m. – Road closures begin East & West bound on Davis Drive
- 8:15 a.m. – Opening Ceremonies
- 8:50 a.m. – All Runners to the Start Line
- 9:00 a.m. – Green Corral Starts
- 9:05 a.m. – Yellow Corral Starts
- 9:10 a.m. – Blue Corral Starts
- 10:30 a.m. – Closing Ceremonies and Awards
Free Parking is available at the Tannery Mall 465 Davis Drive, Newmarket until 8:00 a.m.
Please note: entry and exit to the parking lot closes at 8:15 a.m. and reopens at approximately 10:00 a.m.
All participants must be registered and wearing a race bib in order ot be allowed to participate. Young children may participate without a bib, provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who is a registered participant.
Early bird registration deadline: Early bird registration CLOSES at 11:59 p.m. on February 28, 2018.
Registration deadline: Please note that this event has sold out and registration is closed. There will be NO day-of registration.
Fundraising deadline: To qualify for prizes as the top TEAM fundraisers, all pledges must be entered online no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, April 27, 2018 to be considered for prizes. Pledging will remain open for two weeks after the event and prizes for individual fundraisers will be awarded after the event.
The success of the Run or Walk for Southlake is directly tied to YOU! We need all participants to tap their network of friends, family, colleagues and neighbours to pledge you and your race! Use your personal fundraising page to reach out via email or social media and raise what you can in support of care close to home at Southlake!
Online donations can be made to you or your team through your personal fundraising page. For cash or cheque donations, download a donation form here.
To recognize our top fundraisers, awards will be given to those individuals and teams who raise the most! See below for prize categories:
Individual Fundraisers: If you are an individual participant, you will compete against other individuals for the ‘Top Individual Fundraiser’ award!
Fundraising teams will be recognized in different categories of participation. They include:
- Hospital Department Challenge: If you are a team made up of Southlake physicians/staff/volunteers, you will compete against other hospital family teams for the top fundraising prize in this category.
- Mayor’s Challenge: Teams from our municipal government (politicians and municipal staff) will compete in the Mayor’s Challenge for the top fundraising municipal team.
- Financial Institution Challenge: Teams from our local financial institutions will compete against each other for the top fundraising team.
- Community Friends & Family Challenge - Teams from family, friends, community groups and sports teams will compete in the Community Friends & Family Challenge for the Top Community Friends & Family Team.
- Corporate & Business Challenge Teams from corporations and businesses that are not Financial Institutions compete in the Corporate & Business Challenge for the Top Corporate & Business Challenge.
The 5K is open to all ages. This is a race the whole family can participate in. All participants under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a guardian. All participants under the age of 18 on event day must have a guardian sign their waiver.
Young children are welcome to participate free of charge, provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who is a registered participant. Please note, all non-registered participants will not receive race bibs, t-shirts, or finisher medals.
Scooters, bikes, and pets are not allowed on course.
Participants in the 5K race will have 1.5 hours to complete the course. After this time any participant who has not completed may be asked to use the sidewalk to finish the course.
You can run or walk as much of the route as you choose. Race marshals can redirect you to the starting point safely at any time.
Registration and Fees
Participants will pay a registration fee for their 5K run or walk, based on age grouping. They are as follows:
- Youth under 18 years of age: $20 (no early bird option)
- All other participants: $40 (Early Bird Rate before March 1)
- $50 (after March 1)
*Please note: all registrations are final, non-refundable and non-transferable.
Bibs and Race Kit Pick Up
This is a chipped race. Participants will be given a race bib with a timing device attached. The race bib will act as your entry card to access the event and post event party.
For your convenience and for the best race day experience and to avoid lines we strongly encourage you to pick up your Race Kit (including your bib) in advance at Natures Emporium, Newmarket. Kindly allow 24 hours AFTER online registration for your bib to be processed. Pick up can be made at the following times:
- Wednesday, April 25, 1:00p.m. - 8:00p.m.
- Thursday, April 26, 1:00p.m. - 8:00p.m.
- Friday, April 27, 1:00p.m. - 8:00p.m.
- Saturday, April 28, 10:00a.m. - 2:00p.m.
Natures Emporium, Newmarket is located at 16655 Yonge Street, L3X 1V6. The closest intersection is Yonge Street and Mulock Drive in Newmarket.
Attention Southlake staff and Hospital Department Teams: Your race kits and bibs will be available for pick up at the Southlake Foundation office (581 Davis Drive, Suite 102) at the following times:
- Wednesday, April 25, 9:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.
- Thursday, April 26, 9:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.
- Friday, April 27, 9:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.
Chips are embedded in the bib and will be activated upon crossing the start line.Race bibs should be pinned, unmodified and fully visible on the front of your shirt throughout the entire race. Participants will receive their race bib with pins at race kit pick up.
We ask that participants write their full name, emergency contact information and any allergies or health conditions on the back of their race bib as this will assist emergency personnel should it be required.
Corrals will be set up to group runners based on the time they expect to complete their distance — it is your best estimate. Corralling participants is an important way for us to keep runners safe and ensure a positive experience for everyone.
Runners will need to select a corral during the registration process. Any participant wishing to change their corral information can do so before Wednesday, April 23rd by contacting Tania Han at THan@southlakeregional.org or 905-836-7333 ext. 5108. Corral changes after April 23rd will be subject to a $5 processing fee and can be done at the time of race kit pick up.
|Corral Colour||5K Expected Finish Time|
|Blue||45 minutes or more *includes all Walkers/Families with small children in strollers or wagons|
|Yellow||35 to 44 minutes|
|Green||34 minutes or less|