Everything You Need to Know about the Event!
The 2017 Run or Walk for Southlake presented by Nature’s Emporium will take place on Sunday, April 30, 2017.
The start/finish line will be located at the Senior's Meeting Place at 474 Davis Drive, Newmarket.
Below is some key information you’ll need as a runner!
- Opening Ceremonies: 8:15 a.m.
- All Runners to the Start Line 8:50 a.m.
- Green Corral 9:00 a.m.
- Yellow Corral 9:05 a.m.
- Blue Corral 9:10 a.m.
- Closing Ceremonies & Awards 10:15 a.m.
NEW THIS YEAR:
- 5 KM Race Option - We have consolidated our race options to a 5K race only. You can run, walk, or stroll your support for Southlake and depending on your preference you will leave at different coral times. More information below.
- New Location - To celebrate 15 years of the Run or Walk for Southlake, we will run along Davis Drive in Newmarket, crossing under the Southlake bridge! See below on where to arrive and park.
- This year, all participants for the Run or Walk for Southlake must be registered online prior to 4:00 p.m. April 28th. You may register in person on Saturday April 29th from 10:00am to 1:00pm at Natures Emporium. * For optimal race day experience there will be no Race day registration. Please contact: Jessica Kerr at 905-836-7333 ext 5108 if you have any questions.
Please read below for more details on the 2017 Run or Walk for Southlake!
The 5k is open to all ages. This is a race the whole family can participate in. All participants under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a guardian. All participants under the age of 18 on event day must have a guardian sign their waiver.
Young children are welcome to participate free of charge, provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who is a registered participant. Please note, all non-registered participants will not receive race bibs, t-shirts, or finisher medals.
Scooters, bikes, and pets are not allowed on course.
Participants in the 5k race will have 1.5 hours to complete the course. After this time any participant who has not completed may be asked to use the sidewalk to finish the course.
You can run or walk as much of the route as you choose. Race marshals can redirect you to the starting point safely at any time.
Registration and Fees
Participants will pay a registration fee for their 5K run or walk, based on age grouping. They are as follows:
- Youth under 18 years of age: $20 (no early bird option)
- All other participants: $40 (Early Bird Rate before March 1)
- $50 (after March 1)
Run Shirts: All registered participants will receive a 2017 Run or Walk technical T-shirt with their registration.
*Please note, all registrations are final, non-refundable and non-transferable.
Bibs and Race Kit Pick Up
This is a chipped race. Participants will be given a race bib with a timing device attached. The race bib will act as your entry card to access the event and post event party.
For your convenience and for the best race day experience and to avoid lines we strongly encourage you to pick up your Race Kit (including your bib) in advance at Natures Emporium, Newmarket at any of the following times.
- Wednesday April 26th 1:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday April 27th 1:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Friday April 28th 1:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday April 29th 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Natures Emporium, Newmarket is located at 16655 Yonge Street, L3X 1V6
Chips are embedded in the bib and will be activated upon crossing the start line.
Race bibs should be pinned, unmodified and fully visible on the front of your shirt throughout the entire race. Participants will receive their race bib with pins at race kit pick up.
We ask that participants write their full name, emergency contact information and any allergies or health conditions on the back of their race bib as this will assist emergency personnel should it be required.
Corrals will be set up to group runners based on the time they expect to complete their distance — it is your best estimate. Corralling participants is an important way we can keep runners safe and ensure a better experience for everyone. Runners will need to select a corral during the registration process. Any participant wishing to change their corral information can do so before Monday April 24th by contacting Jessica Kerr at Jkerr@southlakeregional.org or 905-836-7333 ext. 5108. Corral changes after April 24th can be done at the time of race kit pick up.
5K Expected Finish Time
45 minutes or more *includes all Walkers/Families with small children in strollers or wagons
35 to 44 minutes
34 minutes or less
Race Day Information
- 8:00 a.m. - Road Closures begin East & West Bound on Davis Drive
- The start/finish line will be located at the Senior's Meeting Place at 474 Davis Drive, Newmarket.
- 8:15 a.m. - Opening Ceremonies
- 8:50 a.m. - All Runners to the Start Line
- 9:00 a.m. - First Corral
- 9:05 a.m. - Second Corral
- 9:10 a.m. - Third Corral
- 10:15 a.m. - Closing Ceremonies & Awards
Parking and Shuttles
Free Parking is available at the Tannery Mall 465 Davis Drive, Newmarket.
Please note entry and exit to the parking lot closes at 8:15 a.m. and reopens at approximately 10:00 a.m.
Those arriving after 8:15 a.m. will be directed to park at a separate location
East & West bound Davis Drive road closures will begin at 8:00 am with full closures at 8:30 a.m.
During that time, all York Region Transit busses will be detouring beginning at 7:30 a.m. and the VIVA Yellow will be stopping service between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. This will ensure the safety of all participants during the event.Click here for complete details on the affected routes and the scheduled detours.
The start/finish line will be located at the Senior's Meeting Place (474 Davis Drive, Newmarket), along with the Athletes' Village, opening and closing ceremonies, and group warm up!
The success of the Run or Walk for Southlake is directly tied to YOU! We need all participants to tap your network of friends, family, colleagues and neighbours to pledge you and your race! Use your personal fundraising page to reach out via email or social media and raise what you can in support of care close to home at Southlake!
To motivate you to get out there, we have setup four incentive levels that mean prizes for YOU! The more pledges you raise, the bigger the prize!
- Incentive Level 1: $250 Raised = $25.00 Gift Card
- Incentive Level 2: $500 Raised = $50.00 Gift Card
- Incentive Level 3: $750 Raised = $75.00 Gift Card
- Incentive Level 4: $1000 Raised = $100.00 Gift Card
To recognize our top fundraisers, awards will be given to those individuals and teams who raise the most! See below for prize categories:
- Individual Fundraisers: If you are an individual participant, you will compete against other individuals for the ‘Top Individual Fundraiser’ award!
- Fundraising teams will be recognized in different categories of participation. They include:
- Hospital Department Challenge: If you are a team made up of Southlake physicians/staff/volunteers, you will compete against other hospital family teams for the top fundraising prize in this category.
- Mayor’s Challenge: Teams from our municipal government (politicians and municipal staff) will compete in the Mayor’s Challenge for the top fundraising municipal team.
- Financial Institution Challenge: Teams from our local financial institutions will compete against each other for the top fundraising team.
- Community Friends & Family Challenge - Teams from family, friends, community groups and sports teams will compete in the Community Friends & Family Challenge for the Top Community Friends & Family Team.
- Corporate & Business Challenge Teams from corporations and businesses that are not Financial Institutions compete in the Corporate & Business Challenge for the Top Corporate & Business Challenge.
We want you to get the word out about the 2017 Run or Walk for Southlake! Use #runforsouthlake across all your social media accounts - we love seeing how much fun you're having! Be sure to follow @SouthlakeFndn on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for pre-event details and a live play-by-play of all race day activities.
Event Background & Organizing Committee
The Run or Walk for Southlake is the evolution of the Bob Hartwell Challenge that began in 2002 to pay tribute to local businessman, civic leader and avid runner, Bob Hartwell. Through his incredible contribution to the community, Bob touched many lives in his 54 years. The Run or Walk for Southlake honours his legacy by raising much-needed funds for our local hospital, so that we can all continue to have access to the quality healthcare that we deserve, close to home.
An event of this magnitude wouldn’t be possible without the support of a dedicated group of volunteers. Southlake Foundation would like to thank the following people for their generosity of time and spirit in support of this event:
- Steve Hinder, Co-Chair
- Robin Taylor Smith, Co-Chair
- John Loughry, Logistics Chair
- Jacqueline Betterton
- Melanie Bell
- Avia Eek
- John Firman
- Christine Gardner
- Joanne Gorry
- Sandra Humfryes
- Deann Nixon
- Brian North
- Richard Phongsivorabouth
- Marcel Moniz
- Jane Ramos
- Michael Thompson